Thursday, October 4, 2012

Amol's Visit With His Vet

Yesterday, our veterinarian came out to check on Nadia and Amol.  You may recall, Nadia had a facial wound that was examined by her vet on February 23, 2012.  Turned out she had a tooth (T-3) on the right side of her face that was not healthy and needed to be extracted.  Nadia took a short drive to the vet's office to have her tooth removed on March 21, 2012. 

We've been monitoring the facial wound on the side of her face, hoping that it would heal without further medical intervention.  Unfortunately, the wound has not completely healed and so our vet came out to check on Nadia.  Turns out, Nadia will have to make another trip to the vet, where she can be sedated and examined.

Meanwhile, we asked our vet to check on Amol's ears since he has been displaying them in an "airplane-like" fashion.  We loaded him in a roll cage, sedated him using a jab stick, and waited until he was properly sedated before moving him.

When Amol first arrived at In-Sync Exotics, we were told that he had a vasectomy.  Since we were not sure if he actually had a vasectomy, we thought it best to go with a more permanent solution by having him neutered.  Since Amol lived alone, we were able to put off neutering him until he needed to be sedated for some other medical reason.  Well, unbeknownst to Amol, yesterday was his day to be neutered!

The feline neuter is one of the simplest surgical procedures performed in all of veterinary medicine, so we were able to perform this minor surgery right in his own quarters.
Neutered males tend to be less destructive and aggressive than animals that are intact and, according to statistics, tend to live longer than intact male cats.  Since Amol is an older tiger, we are not anticipating any change in his temperament, but we do want our boy to have a long happy life with us.  So it was time for Amol to be neutered...

Once the surgery was completed, our vet checked Amol's ears to see why he displayed them sideways instead of upright.  He noticed that his ears were irritated, so he took a culture swab of the inside of his ears.  We should learn the results of the tests in about a week.  Hopefully we can treat his ears with antibiotics (in pill form) instead of putting medicated cream in his ears--for obvious reasons.

After the exam, our vet reversed the sedation drugs and Amol woke up without any complications.  He stumbled around for a bit, looking very groggy, but relieved to return to his den where he slept for the rest of the afternoon.

We will keep you updated on Nadia's facial wound and Amol's ear test results--in the meantime, please say a little prayer for us that Amol will forgive and forget yesterday's surprise surgery!

We hope you enjoyed today's blog posting! Be sure to check back tomorrow for more fun and informative information about the animals (and humans) of In-Sync Exotics! Don't forget to let us know your reaction to this posting by clicking on one of the reaction buttons below--and share this blog posting with others please ~ Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment